In mid-June, my family and I left Alabama to move to the DC area. We stayed about a week for SuperHubby to get a few things squared away with his new job, then we took off to drive to Kansas to visit family.
You know what that means, right?
Lots and lots of opportunities for fun.
So this week, in honor of all of us surviving over three weeks of living in hotels and driving over 2,500 miles in June and July, I present to you this week’s Monday Smiles –
Ten Things Overheard On Our Road Trip
10. “We can have lunch at Mathew’s Arm.” (Said in reference to a camping/picnic area in Shenandoah National Forest.)
9. “Why did you just honk at a cow?” (Munchkin to SuperHubby, who hit the horn “accidentally” just as we were passing a single cow in southern Virginia.)
8. “Can I kick the great ball of fire?” (Squeaker, after SuperHubby tried the exclamation, “Goodness, gracious, great balls of fire!” when the boys got overly excited about something silly.)
7. “Guys, Buttercup is asleep. Can you be quiet too? That would be a great plan.” (Said by Squeaker, who is, without question, the loudest member of our family.)
6. And the next day, Squeaker was sleeping in the car. And snoring. And every time he snored, Buttercup growled back at him. (She does a wicked awesome growl.)
5. Me to Buttercup at lunch time: “Please don’t squeeze my legs with your peanut butter hands.”
4. Me, at the zoo: “Look, boys! It’s a chipmunk!”
Squeaker: “No, it’s not. It’s a lion.”
(It most definitely was not a lion. Just for the record. But I give him eleventy-billion imagination points.)
3. We walked into a lush green forest in the Smoky Mountains to hike up to Mingo Falls, and Squeaker immediately belted out, “Ewoks! Ewoks!” And he was very disappointed when no Ewoks appeared.
2. “I love you very much, but I don’t need a picture of your nostril.” (Note: Six is the age at which you should no longer trust a boy with your camera. Because I suspect it only gets worse from here.)
1. “We are so excited! We’re going on a road trip, and we’re going on vacation, and we’re going to see Grandma, and we’re homeless!” (Munchkin, to a stranger on an elevator. And then again to a stranger at a hotel pool. And again to a stranger on the hike up to Clingman’s Dome in the Smoky Mountains. And… you get the point.)
Have a great Monday! 🙂
This month, once again I’m giving a surprise to one blog commenter! It might be a signed copy of Southern Fried Blues or Mr. Good Enough, or it might be some extra-special book-themed swag, or it might be an early copy of The Husband Games. You just never know! Want to enter? Just comment on any blog that I post in the month of July. The more blogs you comment on, the more chances you have to win! Limit one entry per post, though feel free to comment as much as you wish! And as always, my newsletter subscribers are eligible for a separate surprise giveaway! Sign up for my newsletter here! Full contest and giveaway rules here.